Friday, February 20, 2015

"Hint Fiction" Review by Katie Draves

Title: Hint Fiction: An Anthology of Stories in 25 Words or Fewer
Edited by: Robert Swartwood
Rating: 5/5 Stars

This book was recommended to me by a librarian at Oesterle Library, and I wasn’t disappointed. I was pretty curious as I opened the first page. What effect can a very, very, very short story have? Apparently, a big one. The idea was inspired by Ernest Hemingway, who created the first “six-word story” (For sale: baby shoes, never worn). The purpose of the stories is to evoke enough thought to finish a much larger story in the reader’s brain. I can honestly say every single story in this book grabbed my attention, pulled my heartstrings, and really made me think. There are also some famous writers featured such as Joyce Carol Oates, Peter Straub, and Stephen Dunn. All in all, this was very satisfying reading experience and I highly recommend it to the curious reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment